Dippy on Tour: A Natural History Adventure
Dippy, the Natural History Museum's iconic Diplodocus cast, is going on a natural history adventure across the UK.
Dippy hopes you'll join him. There are incredible natural history collections and biodiversity to explore right on your doorstep.
Dippy will be visiting the following venues:
- Dorset County Museum, 10 February - 7 May 2018
- Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery, 26 May - 9 September 2018
- Ulster Museum, 28 September 2018 - 6 January 2019
- Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum, Glasgow, 22 January - 5 May 2019
- Great North Museum: Hancock, Newcastle upon Tyne, 18 May - 6 October 2019
- National Museum Cardiff, 19 October 2019 - 26 January 2020
- Number One Riverside, Rochdale, 10 February - 28 June 2020
- Norwich Cathedral, 11 July - 31 October 2020
Dippy in Birmingham
After Dorset, Dippy makes his way to Birmingham. He will be surprised to learn that not all dinosaurs died out 66 million years ago - the meat-eating theropods evolved into creatures you see every day: birds.
Alas, Dippy is a sauropod dinosaur and his kind did not survive.
Museum scientist Arkhat Abzhanov says:
'There are around 10,000 species of dinosaurs alive today. They are hugely successful and as different as night-hunting owls, speedy ostriches and diving ducks.
'While he's in Birmingham, Dippy will find out how the scary and scaly dinosaurs evolved into modern birds and the evidence for this change. He'll also explore the secrets of birds' success and what they can teach us about the extinct dinosaurs.'
In partnership with
Things to do at home or school
Our activities, games and worksheets will help you continue your natural history adventure. All learning resources are aligned to curriculums across England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.
Dinosaurs and birds
For ages 4-7. An introduction to Dippy, dinosaurs, and their similarities with birds, their closest living relatives.
Adventures with Dippy
For ages 7-11. Activities for each stop on Dippy's adventure, including challenges and outdoor games.