We recommend that you make a preliminary visit to the Museum to familiarise yourself with the facilities and building. Please contact us if you would like to meet with a member of the Learning and Events team.
Visiting school groups should follow guidance from your school or local authority. We recommend a of 1:6 ratio for KS1 and KS2 workshops.
- Pupils must have adult supervision at all times.
- Behaviour of pupils remains the responsibility of teachers and adult supervisors. Please ensure all accompanying adults understand the aims of the visit and their role.
- In the galleries please ensure that pupils walk, take care in opening cases. Do not climb on or lean over the railings in Gallery 3.
- When using the Museum shop, we would be grateful if you could split up larger groups.
- If you have missing pupils or lost property, please ask one of the uniformed members of staff for help.
- In the event of an emergency, there will be a public announcement.
- Please follow the instructions and exit with all of your pupils at the Fire Assembly Point in the outdoor picnic area.
If you are arriving by coach, please ask the driver to drop you off at the coach parking bays in the car park off Hastoe Lane. Pedestrian access to the Museum from that car park is by footpath, through a small wooded area.
Follow the footpath and enter via the grassy courtyard. Minibuses may park in either of the Museum's free car parks. Please take care in car parks and use zebra crossings where available.
The Museum has two outdoor picnic areas and there is a small indoor picnic area for up to 32 pupils at a time. Lunch slots of 30 minutes should be booked in advance.
All bookings should be made at least two weeks in advance. To book, discuss your needs or to arrange a pre-visit, please contact the Learning team on +44 (0)20 7942 6177, Monday to Friday, 9.00-17.00. Alternatively, email email@example.com.
Please make sure you have all the information we'll need, using the following checklist.
Telephone booking information requirements
Please have the following information ready when booking by phone.
Contact details including:
- a group leader name
- email address (if available)
- telephone number
- school name and address
Visit details including:
- date of visit
- approximate time of arrival
- approximate time of departure
- number of adults and number of pupils
- age range of pupils
- use of Museum clipboards
- use of the indoor picnic room (capacity is 32 pupils and must be booked in advance for 30-minute lunch slots)
- name and preferred time of workshops (one workshop per class, each workshop for a maximum of 32 pupils)
- any additional requirements
Download the school visit checklist as a PDF (212KB).